Thursday 26 May 2016

My Favourite Lemon Madeleines recipe

One of my favourite things to bake are these lovely little lemon madeleines. I've always been a fan of madeleines (probably something to do with living in France for part of my childhood) but until last year I had never tried baking my own. After buying myself a madeleine baking tin I decided to give it a go! I bought my madeline baking tray from a local kitchenware shop but you can easily buy them online.




I use this Michel Roux Jr. recipe and it has always worked beautifully for me.

Ingredients:
  • 2 free-range eggs
  • 100g/3½oz caster sugar
  • 100g/3½oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
  • 1 lemon, juice and zest
  • ¾ tsp baking powder
  • 100g/3½oz butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus extra for greasing
Serves 12 - 16



Method:

~ Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.

~ Gently melt the butter on the hob and then use some to brush on to the madeleine tray. Shake on a little flour to coat, shaking off the excess.

~ You will need the zest and juice from one lemon.

~ Whisk together the eggs and the sugar in a bowl until frothy. Lightly whisk in the remaining ingredients, not forgetting the melted butter. I do all of this in my KitchenAid but I'm sure this can probably be done with a hand wisk.

~ Leave the mixture to stand for 20 minutes (perfect time to make a cup of tea and have a sit down!). After that carefully pour the mixture into the prepared madeleine tray.

~ Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the mixture has risen a little in the middle and is fully cooked through. Transfer the madeleines to a wire rack and leave for a few minutes to cool slightly.






I sprinkle a little icing sugar very lightly over the madeleines when I pop them in in to a cake tin to store but it's not necessary. The recipe says that the madeleines are best eaten within an hour of cooking but I have found they have lasted well for a couple of days sealed in a cake tin although I would agree that their texture is best within the first 24 - 48 hours. To be honest they are so yummy they are not around for very long!



Delicious enjoyed with a cup of tea or coffee with friends or family!

You can find the original recipe I used here on the BBC Food site. If any of you have made madeleines from other recipes that you love which are other flavours, please feel free to let me know in the comments. I would love to try making some different ones!

Happy Baking....and eating!

Tanya x

No comments:

Post a Comment